Jac Yarrow's first West End show was Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat which opened in 2019, Photo: Lea Salonga and Bernadette Peters Prepare for STEPHEN SONDHEIM'S OLD FRIENDS, Louise Dearman, Rob Houchen & More to Star in AT LAST, IT'S SUMMER Concert at the London Palladium, Bernadette Peters and Lea Salonga Will Lead STEPHEN SONDHEIM'S OLD FRIENDS in the West End, Photos & Video: First Look at JOSEPH AND THE AMAZING TECHNICOLOR DREAMCOAT in Toronto, Photos: First Look at Donny Osmond, Jac Yarrow, and More in PANTO AT THE PALLADIUM, Photos: First Look at JOSEPH AND THE AMAZING TECHNICOLOR DREAMCOAT; Now Playing at the London Palladium, Photo Flash: First Look at the Cast of SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS at Birmingham Hippodrome. Im pretty sure I wore my uniform, which was a black T-shirt and running pants., Its clear why Lloyd Webber chose Yarrow as his leading man. ", It was also here that the journey that has brought him to the Palladium partly began. But when he rejects the advances of Potiphars wife, Joseph is thrown into jail, where he discovers a unique ability to interpret dreams. [Laughs] Yes, well, little plastic sheep! I have a flat in London. Really stunning stuff Jac. Its so cool to watch him listen to his music and the new take on it. Tickets go on sale Monday September 26th. Your flights delayed. But no, I was Joseph. Tickets at, Conversations are opinions of our readers and are subject to the, The Toronto Star and thestar.com, each property of Toronto Star permissions/licensing, please go to: www.TorontoStarReprints.com. I remember holding the position and thinking, I have to do something to stop this. I am, can you believe it? "A few days later, I did the songs again with notes Laurence gave me, and it was filmed and sent to Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice! #Joseph #AndrewLloydWebber #DonnyOsmond #Musicals #MusicalTheatre #TheShowsMustGoOn rights reserved. The centrepiece is the sun reflected on to a back screen whose changing colours stunningly saturate the stage, thanks to Ben Cracknells lighting. It tells the biblical story of Joseph and his eleven brothers. It might all be familiar, unthreatening fare, but it excels at its job. Posts. West End, Off-West End, fringe shows, exclusive members discount at top celeb hang out, post-show Q&As and meet and greets. This beautifully sets up the revelation of Yarrow's impressive capacity to deliver strong emotion through song in "Close Every Door." The moodiness of this prison-set scene is amplified by. Star of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor DreamcoatJac Yarrow, 23, on stepping into the shoes of Jason Donovan and Phillip Schofield, returning to the stage after lockdown, and a rather embarrassing rehearsal in front of Andrew Lloyd Webber. Presented now by Mirvish and directed by Laurence Connor, its premise is straightforward - the Narrator (Vanessa Fisher) is retelling the biblical tale of Joseph (Jac Yarrow) to a group of children. He most recently appeared as Jack Kelly in his school's production of Newsies. As the show is part ofKids Week 2021, you can enjoy half-price family tickets for performances throughout August. Now he's settling into the run of the show itself, there's still plenty of work to be done. Get a first look at photos and video of the new London Palladium production of Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webbers Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, now on stage through February 18, 2023 at the Princess of Wales Theatre. If you do not yet have a Torstar account, you can create one now (it is free), Copyright owned or licensed by Toronto Star Newspapers Limited. This copy is for your personal non-commercial use only. But about three or four weeks after that I went in and sang "Any Dream will Do" and "Close Every Door", to a whole panel which included the director [Laurence Connor] and choreographer [Joanne M Hunter] for the first time. [Laughs] Kelly Brook is a vision in black swimsuit as she enjoys hot tub dip during glorious Bank Holiday getaway, Stacey Solomon accidentally reveals finger tattoo and its a total heart-melter, Coachella owner orders fan to destroy footage of controversial Frank Ocean set, Miley Cyrus mum Tish and Prison Break star Dominic Purcell engaged eight months after ex Billy Rays proposal to singer, Mrs Doubtfire star Matthew Lawrence was fired from agency after refusing to strip for a director, Do not sell or share my personal information. Talented newcomer Jac Yarrow has landed his first professional stage gig in the iconic tit . The highly acclaimed production of JOSEPH AND THE TECHNICOLOR DREAMCOAT has made its way to Toronto. Im the first Joseph not to wear a loincloth. It was at the London Palladium and it was the first time Andrew Lloyd Webber was there watching the show. He said it was easy to get distracted by the fans, the audiences, the reviews and the buzz around the show. Alexandra Burke - Narrator, Jac Yarrow - Joseph (Pic: Tristram Kenton) . Close Every Door is one of Jac Yarrow's favourite moments in Joseph, coming to His Majesty's this week. Before that happens, might you get to keep your rather dazzling "dreamcoat"once this run ends on September 8? "When I was about seven, at a Saturday stage school called Stage Centre in Cardiff [where he was raised and his family still lives], we did a mash-up revue of songs from Joseph and Sweeney Todd. Well, some problems. Its the night you get back to London. It tells the biblical story of Joseph and his eleven brothers. Songs included in the piece are "Any Dream Will Do", "Close Every Door To Me", "Jacob and Sons", "There's One More Angel In Heaven" and "Go Go Go Joseph". As if we weren't excited enough about the initial casting of Lucie Jones, Ramin Karimloo and Jac Yarrow, the full cast of StageFaves taking part in The Secret Garden concerts at the London Palladium are giving us palpitations! The revival production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat will be directed by Laurence Connor (School of Rock, Miss Saigon), with choreography from JoAnn M Hunter, design from Morgan Large, lighting from Ben Cracknell and sound from Gareth Owen. Check it out. Was it at all nerve-wracking to discover that you were going to be playing opposite a Pharaoh, Jason Donovan, who well before you were born famously played Joseph at this same address? Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoatis at the London Palladium until 8th September. The producer of Joseph came to see me in my final year show at drama school and invited me to audition. I get asked if it was intimidating but the truth is the opposite: Jason is such a relaxed and lovely guy and has made me feel so welcome in the same place that was his home for six months. Alexandra Burke, Jac Yarrow and Ensemble in Joseph And The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat at The London Palladium (Photo credit: Tristram Kenton). Im so excited. Now thats an offer you wont want to miss! The kids are amazing and have learned the show so quickly: the way they absorb the material kind of puts the adults to shame, and most of them have longer CVs [rsums] than some of the adults! It was harder with the choreography. In 2019, legendary Guardian theatre critic Michael Billington called Yarrows performance as Joseph a sensational debut, commenting that he had just graduated from (drama school) yet gives the impression he was born on the Palladium stage. Other U.K. critics agreed: The Times Ann Treneman called Yarrow a great Joseph. Time Out lauded his terrific pair of lungs and winningly peppy charisma.. Then the next day the full company was in, we had the set model reveal - it was the most exciting day. He looks like a chiselled biblical superhero in his coat of many colours and belts out ballads that rival the power of Burkes, including a soaring rendition of Close Every Door. Close every door to me, Keep those I love from me Children of Israel Are never alone For I know I shall find My own peace of mind For I have been promised A land of my own Children Close every door to me, Hide all the world from me Bar all the windows And shut out the light Joseph Just give me a number Instead of my name Forget all about me And . hile Andrew Lloyd Webber bumpily steers his latest. Stephen Sondheim's Old Friends will transfer to the West End for 16 weeks only beginning in September! Don't they say you should never share a stage with children or animals, whereas you are doing precisely that eight times a week? Book your dream ticket today! Jac Yarrow, making his professional stage debut, will play the role at The Palladium this summer. Harrison came to see it at the urging of Jorg Betts, an agent who spotted Jac in an earlier student show Once on This Island. I tend to just do the show and then come home and be quiet. The show was originally released as a concept album in 1969 and has run in the West End, Broadway and all over the world. Ben Forster, Melanie La Barrie & Celinde Schoenmaker join The Secret Garden. Sold into slavery out of the jealousy of his kin, Joseph finds himself in Egypt, where his reputation burgeons under Potiphar. He has also directed the likes of Miss Saigon and Chess in the West End. BroadwayWorld has a look inside rehearsals for the London Palladium production of Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber's Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat as the company gets ready for its Toronto season at the Princess of Wales Theatre. In the meantime, is there any truth to the persistent rumor that Joseph is returning this time next year to the Palladium for a second summer run? Jac Yarrow. Olivier Award nominated ActorRepresented by Jorg Betts Associates. Oh my gosh. Update your cookie preferences here and enable social and advertising cookies, If the above hasnt already got you booking your tickets, were certain this will. Jay Yarow June 1, 2017. I went to drama school with a couple of guys in the ensemble who were in my year so it was nice to show up and see some familiar faces. I wasn't nervous, weirdly, having thought I was going to be terrified. ", That first night, he admits, was "terrifying" - but it was also "everything I wanted it to be and so magical. But then Andrew would come in, listen to what wed done and give his approval, which was really cool, he explained. Joseph star Jac Yarrow told me this story, with not a lick of exaggeration the high drama of the situation was palpable over our WhatsApp call. While Andrew Lloyd Webber bumpily steers his latest 6m production into being, there is this smooth operator of a show from his musical archive. I know Jason got to keep his and I would love that, but nothing has been discussed. And he was so thrilled I was doing it, and he was so impressed with my audition. My parents and my sister love musicals. Have you felt like part of a larger Andrew Lloyd Webber renaissance, given concurrent London revivals this summer of Evita and Jesus Christ Superstar, not to mention the forthcoming film of Cats? There was me, making my professional debut. It was a whirlwind. See performance dates, and learn how to purchase tickets! More than one critic - myself included- reached for the superlative "a star is born" when describing the West End debut of Jac Yarrow in the title role of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat:"He received a spontaneous standing ovation on the first night at the end of his rendition of "Close Every Door"; but this is a performance that will open every door to him from here on in.". Review Roundup: Sean Hayes Stars In GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR On Broadway! I would follow my favourite performers on Twitter and Instagram. As a child, Yarrow went to drama school every Saturday, where he and his classmates would act in a condensed version of popular musicals like Sweeney Todd and, yes, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.. I'm trying to soak it up while I can, because these remaining eight weeks will just fly by. Is it true that you are talking to me from the same star dressing room at the Palladium that once housed Judy Garland, among many others? Sue Crawford Friday 9 Jul 2021 12:35 pm. I was nervous in rehearsal when I had to sing Any Dream Will Do, as obviously he had a major hit with it. After receiving acclaim for their performances as Joseph and the Pharaoh in the new production of Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webbers Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat at the London Palladium this year, Jac Yarrow and Jason Donovan will return for the 10-week season in 2020. Jason Donovan and Jac Yarrow in Joseph And The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat at The London Palladium (Photo credit: Tristram Kenton). He gave me a hug and said he couldnt wait to start working on Joseph with me. I had a really quick change into it and said to the dresser, This is really small, I dont think its going to fit, but we had to carry on. That's exactly the kind of thing I would hope to do. Joseph And The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat tells the story of Jacobs favourite son, Joseph, and his eleven brothers. I had to pinch myself that they gave it to an unknown. That's kind of you to say but you know, it totally feels like a dream, a blur. Read More. And, in a small way, I was part of that training myself: I teach the first-year musical theatre students a course in musical theatre history (which includes a class fully devoted to the musicals of Andrew Lloyd Webber, so I hope that stood him in good stead for his first job!). It was knowing and over the top in true Las Vegas style however it stayed the . who brings the role to the Princess of Wales theatre this month. Morgan Larges set design appears initially predictable, with ethnic prints and swirling cloth. Anyone can read Conversations, but to contribute, you should be a registered Torstar account holder. Here is some of ourgreat customised merchandise for this performer. "To go full circle to come to the Palladium myself and to have a scholarship named after me is amazing - and it's all down to the generosity of Michael Harrison, our incredible producer, who has been so instrumental in all of this for me. He sprang to prominence when he made his professional debut as Joseph in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat at The London Palladium, to which he returned in 2021. He told me to remember that the work is going on stage and doing the show. He came to rehearsals every now and again because our director was trying to shape up Joseph, give it a new feel, a new vibe. The new London Palladium production ofTim RiceandAndrew Lloyd Webber's Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoathas announced the cast for its Toronto season at the Princess of Wales Theatre. A lively and colourful journey through Ancient Egypt, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat follows the rags to riches story of Joseph, his eleven brothers and the coat of many colours. Star of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat Jac Yarrow, 23, on stepping into the shoes . Opening night is set for July 11. They updated the backstage of the theater about a year ago but I keep thinking that maybe she signed her name somewhere underneath the desk. including "Any Dream Will Do," "Close Every Door to Me," "Jacob and Sons," "There's One More Angel in . If you put the show down to its rawest form with just the music and the lyrics, it's such a fun show. And it's great that these shows are making a return in ways that allow them to be reimagined. ", It's certainly been a whirlwind. The show features songs that have gone on to become pop and musical theatre standards, including Any Dream Will Do, Close Every Door To Me, Jacob and Sons, Theres One More Angel In Heaven and Go Go Go Joseph. Before rehearsals start, you take yourself on a much-deserved vacation to Europe. ", It was at ArtsEd where Harrison discovered Jac back in February when he was starring in his final year show, the UK premiere of Newsies, and Harrison commented of funding the scholarship: "It seems fitting that we got Jac from there, and through him we'll help someone else.".
Murders In Thomaston, Ga 2021, Biggest Celebrity Scandals Of The 21st Century, Steve Hodge Chef Wife, Articles J