The following excerpts are from the candidates website. the community, I understand the wants and needs of the people involved Prior to her appointment, Judge Wilson served the people of the State of Washington for over two decades as an assistant attorney general. criminal or civil matter, I will use my legal training and legal Sharanda Jones prisoner 33177-077 struggled to describe the moment in 1999 when a federal judge sentenced her to life in prison after her conviction on a single cocaine offense. ; Saint Martins University, I was thinking about my baby. constitution. She remembers being confused when her mother seemed to vanish. Thurston County Bar Association; Thurston County Juvenile Justice and Byrd received no response, but more than a year later the Obama administration began its clemency initiative. Sharonda Amamilo is a senior defense attorney with Thurston County Public Defense and serves in the U.S. Army Reserves. From July 2015 through July 2017, she served as the Chief Judge at Family and Juvenile Court (FJC). Several of them, when contacted by The Washington Post, were dismayed. %PDF-1.5 % VotingforJudges.org, Bremerton, WA 98311 Sharonda Amamilo Judge - Thurston County Superior Court, Washington State (Elected 2020) Her memberships have included the Thurston County Bar Association, the Washington State Bar Association, and the Nisqually Tribal Bar. Washington Trafficking Prevention Board; Community Youth Services Judicial Assistant: Jacquelin (Jacky) Butcher:jacky.butcher@co.thurston.wa.usor360-709-3205. h[Y7+hc-000$5B=Z[n`2VLA2nmM~eVe\yWV68kT+CjB Two years later, Jones and several others were indicted by a federal grand jury. She also actively serves this community as a member of the American Legion Post 94-Lacey and Gateway Rotary of Thurston County. Judge Zipp and her wife of twenty-one years live in Thurston County. was elected Friday by the judges of the Los Angeles Superior Court as a Her Top 5 Strengths are: Relator, Learner, Connectedness, Strategic, and Achiever. Judicial Assistant, Sherry Kangiser: sherry.kangiser@co.thurston.wa.usor 360-786-5577. Criminal TRANSCRIPT of Proceedings as to Laurence F. Doud III re: Trial held on 1/25/22 before Judge George B. Daniels. In her current trial judge rotation, Judge Murphy presides over civil and felony criminal trials and civil motions and administrative appeals. We will email you Sterling-Ward v. Tujaka, No. They include 46 inmates who were granted clemency on Monday by Obama. comments@votingforjudges.org. Thurston County Superior Court Judge Indu Thomas, Judge Allyson Zipp and Judge Sharonda Amamilo The panel, consisting of the Thurston County Superior Court's three newest judges, will share lawyering tips and other valuable information lawyers appearing before them should know, based on their observations from the bench in their time on the . About Sharonda D. Amamilo, Thurston County Superior Court Judge Candidate. Jones almost certainly would not receive such a sentence today. Those collaborative efforts include the WA State Sentencing Guidelines Commission, the Joint Legislative Task Force on Jail Standards, the Alternatives to Incarceration Task Force, the Family Well-Being Community Collaborative, and the National Judicial Network: Forum on Human Trafficking and Immigration in State Courts. Her areas of responsibility included mental health, substance abuse, juvenile justice, public assistance, and child welfare. Her practice areas focused on family and juvenile law, criminal defense and estate planning and probate. Olympia, Tumwater voters defeat RFA plan by a wide margin. She also spent time as a private practice attorney. Dontae Sharpe's quest for freedom after being wrongfully convicted of a 1994 murder took a procedural path his lawyer calls "tortured." But on Aug. 22, 2019, a judge in Greenville, N.C., found that newly discovered evidence presented on Sharpe's behalf by the Duke Law Wrongful Convictions Clinic "destroys the State's entire theory of the case" against him. When could conclude be used to replace judge? She is a champion for social justice and was recently announced a winner of the YWCA of Olympia's 'Womxn' of Achievement Award. experiences to achieve justice and equity for all. I pledge that you will never have Garland walked past the razor wire to the front lobby where she gave her badge to a guard, as she had hundreds of times before. Ribbon Commission on Homelessness. View the profiles of people named Sharonda Sharonda. He is best known as a member of the vocal group Boyz II Men. Qualified. Prior to his election, Judge Lanese served the people of the State of Washington as a Managing Assistant Attorney General, representing clients in complex lawsuits ranging from jury trials in Superior Court to appeals before the Washington Supreme Court. Only 89 prisoners of the more than 35,000 who have filed applications have been freed. Sharonda Amamilo holds a large lead over her three opponents in the race for retiring Judge Anne Hirsch's Position 8 seat on the Thurston County Superior Court. Writing in the third person, Ahlf writes he has "earned a well-deserved reputation for the nationally recognized Olympia Community Court system for first time offenders convicted of lesser crimes.". Inside Carswells visiting room one recent afternoon, Jones opened the tattered blue Bible she brought in with her 16 years ago and turned to her daughter, Clenesha Garland. This case was filed in Alachua County Superior Courts, with None presiding. by clicking the Inbox on the top right hand corner. sharonda for judge. Megan Rue, Finney Lindquist, and Christina Sherman have used multiple means of malpractice to influence the courts to remove a parents rights by force. Appointed By: Los Angeles County Superior Court Judges. Amamilo, Ahlf Win Primary for Superior Court Judge Position No. He currently presides over domestic violence hearings, family law settlement conferences, and dependency settlement conferences at Thurston County Family & Juvenile Court. Ahlf told The Olympian, Anyone of the four candidates would make a good Superior Court Judge.. We evaluate individuals seeking either appointment or election to judicial office including: municipal and district courts, superior courts, superior court commissioner seats, courts of appeals, and the Washington State Supreme Court. Brittany K. Byrd was in her second year of law school at Southern Methodist University in Dallas in 2009 when she heard about Jones. About 100,000 federal inmates or nearly half are serving time for drug offenses, among them thousands of nonviolent offenders sentenced to life without the possibility of parole, according to the American Civil Liberties Union. Upon moving to Washington in 2006, he practiced law at a small firm in Clark County. I want you to live your life, Jones said. Some common synonyms of judge are conclude, deduce, gather, and infer. Judge. Merriam-Webster.com Thesaurus, Merriam-Webster, https://www.merriam-webster.com/thesaurus/judge. Address. Sharonda is a Thurston County Superior Court Judge Candidate. Supervisors on Nov. 17, 2015 as county counsel, left that post after being June 16, 2022; Posted by waggoner ranch map But I just kept thinking about Sharanda and how she would feel when she saw her name wasnt on that list.. If you wish to keep the information in your envelope between pages, It just tugged at my soul. She sent a card to Jones in prison, telling her that she was a law student and she wanted to try to help. Investigators pressed Jones to implicate her business partner, the Dallas police officer, saying it could help reduce her sentence. As your next Thurston County Superior Court Judge,Iwill treat you and your matter with the respect and dignity that each of you deserve no matter the party, no matter the issue. Someone committed to protecting theconstitutional rightsof all citizens,bringing diversity of experience and background to objectively deliberate, educate, and render compassionate justice to families and individuals appearing before the court. 2007) case opinion from the US Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit They outpaced David Hankins, who had 17.5 percent of the vote, and Jonathan Sprouffske, who had 14 percent. ''Shes the light of my life,'' Clenesha Garland said during a recent visit with her mother at Carswell federal prison. Before his election to the bench, Judge Skinder served the people of the State of Washington as a deputy prosecuting attorney in Thurston County (2000-2016) and as a deputy prosecuting attorney in Lewis County (1997-2000). Judge Thomas was appointed by Governor Jay Inslee to the Thurston County Superior Court and began serving as a Superior Court Judge on November 1, 2021. Using a government formula, the prosecutor said that the 30kilograms of powder was equal to 13.39kilograms of crack cocaine. This sterile space a room of 64 mauve-colored chairs, a few vending machines, a miniature table, chairs for toddlers and a big clock on the wall has been the weekly aperture through which Jones has seen her daughter grow. He also goes on to say he led efforts to protect families, including women and children, who are subjected to domestic violence. In 2009, then Commissioner Schaller was named Jurist of the Year by the Washington State Bar Association, Family Law Section. Phone: 570-455-9191. Sentencing Commission. experience working for numerous associations, panels and workgroups for Washington State and Thurston County. But they found her guilty of one count of conspiracy to distribute crack cocaine. In addition, for nearly 3 decades, Judge Egeler practiced law at the Attorney General's Office. She was elected to the bench by the Los Angeles County Superior Court judges in September 2021. Judge Wilson served at Thurston County Family and Juvenile Court from January 2018 until January 2021, including serving as Chief Judge from July 2019 through January 2021. Judge Thomas served more than 8 years of her career in the courtroom as a litigator. 4 talking about this. An information resource for Washington voters. Because of her role as a middle woman between a cocaine buyer and supplier, Jones was accused of being part of a drug conspiracy and should have known that the powder would be converted to crack triggering a greater penalty. Please wait a moment while we load this page. Family & Juvenile Court also operates a juvenile detention facility. at Southwestern Law School. Box 351 Vicksburg 39183 Sharonda Taylor 601-619-4323sharonda@co.warren.ms.us Most are poor, and four in five are African American or Hispanic. Judge Zipp currently serves as a trial judge at the court's main campus. When is it sensible to use gather instead of judge? Inside Carswell federal prison for women, Sharanda Jones, prisoner 33177-077, marks ''The Lords Prayer,'' her favorite passage, in her Bible. I am making this attempt to share some insight to an experience regarding a case that you are currently presiding over. Jay Inslee will not seek a fourth term in 2024. It was more like, Been there, heard that before and no ones really helped me.. 926 24th Way SW Olympia WA 98502 US. Jones applied. Filing 920070725 I will champion efforts to protect and defend Through well-trained judicial officers and court staff, the Court uses innovative techniques and manages public resources responsibly. Hon. Currently you have JavaScript disabled. Judge Wiggs reminded members to be mindful of how crimes are punished depending on the status of the person perceived to be committing the crime. If all of the parties sign the proposed order and agree to the form of the order, you can present it (1) ex parte at the beginning of the judge's civil motion calendar; or (2) through the civil ex parte calendar or through the mail-in process, where it will be referred to the judge who made the ruling. Judge Carol Murphy was elected to the Thurston County Superior Court bench and began her first term in 2009. Local / 479 views. In the spring of 2014, then-Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. who had called mandatory minimum sentences draconian started an initiative to grant clemency to certain nonviolent drug offenders in federal prison. She wrote me back and it was really a generic type of letter, Byrd said. The Court, Thurston County Superior Court - Local Forms, Thurston County Superior Court - Local Rules. Hon. Seattle University School of Law, J.D. UNWINDING THE DRUG WAR: This story is the third in a continuing series about the legacy of the war on drugs and efforts to reduce the nations prison population. Superior Court Judges at Family & Juvenile Court: Thurston County3000 Pacific Avenue SEOlympia, WA 98501, Courts Expectations of Law Enforcement Officers Present at the Courthouse to make an Arrest. more analytics for Sharonda D. Amamilo. Judge Sharonda D. Amamilo was elected to the Thurston County Superior Court Bench in 2020 and began her historic first term in 2021 as the first person of color to serve as a Judge in Thurston County. Im worried all the time about how they are treating you. endstream endobj 1943 0 obj <>/Metadata 53 0 R/Pages 1940 0 R/StructTreeRoot 73 0 R/Type/Catalog>> endobj 1944 0 obj <>/MediaBox[0 0 612 792]/Parent 1940 0 R/Resources<>/ProcSet[/PDF/Text]>>/Rotate 0/StructParents 0/Tabs/S/Type/Page>> endobj 1945 0 obj <>stream Judge Skinder and his wife Angela are actively involved in the community. Texas. 8 with 43.31 percent of the popular vote, when preliminary results came in around 8 p.m. Tuesday. She was taking Critical Race Theory, a seminar class that analyzed the intersection of race and the law. Prior to her legal career, Judge Zipp had a private sector career as a technology project manager and business analyst. She was admitted to practice in California in 1999. Other Professional Experience I want the voters to know I am very humbled and very proud that they see me as someone that they can trust to take on such an important role, she said. Los Angeles County Deputy Public Defender Sharonda Bradford On May 29, 2020, the judge made findings, granted the Board's motion to confirm the arbitrator's award, and dismissed . I don't know what steps are necessary to address this behavior. We have notified your account executive who will contact you shortly. Judge: Van Nuys - West: F (818) 989-6833: Brazil, Deborah S. . Sharonda D. Amamilo Sharonda P Bradford, California Superior Court: Profile and Biography - Bloomberg Markets Bloomberg Connecting decision makers to a dynamic network of information, people and ideas,. Judicial Assistant, Cecelia Morales: cecelia.morales@co.thurston.wa.usor 360-709-3052. While at Family and Juvenile Court, Judge Wilson presided over family law, juvenile, and dependency trials and presided over the weekly juvenile offender pretrial calendar. Her case began in November 1997 when the Kaufman County Sheriffs Department conducted a large drug sweep in the city of Terrell, about 30 miles east of Dallas, netting more than 100 people, all of them black. Judge Anne Egeler was appointed to the Thurston County Superior Court bench by Governor Jay Inslee and began serving in January 2023. The officer, who is still with the department, declined to be interviewed. December 31, 2015. I am actively engaged in various levels of systems change and strategic planning at the department, county, and national levels with the purpose of continually assessing the services provided to our countys residents., I would be honored to receive your vote for Thurston County Superior Court Judge, Position 8in the August 4 primary and November 3 general elections. Read more. Prior to joining the bench, Bradford was a deputy public defender III with the Law Offices of Los Angeles County Public Defender. Kleifield, and Michael L. Stern, the most senior judges who were available for Washington State - Thurston County. Prior to her appointment, Judge Zipp practiced law on behalf of the people of the State of Washington at the Attorney General's Office. Radio: WXYT-FM (97.1; other radio affiliates). The officer testified and said she was not involved. Judge Wilson currently serves as a board member of the Thurston County Dispute Resolution Center and Thurston County Volunteer Legal Services. Box 4666, Ventura, CA 93007 Request a Quote: taurus 1911 45 acp extended magazine CSDA Santa Barbara County Chapter's General Contractor of the Year 2014! The sentencing scheme that sent Jones to prison has been widely denounced by lawmakers from both political parties. But a lingering legacy of the crack epidemic are inmates such as Jones. 741 likes. McDonald-Kelley led Division I Campbell University in . I pledge that I will make sure that everyone who comes Ms. Amamilo was a Primary winner @ 45%, on the Nov. ballot. Following graduation, she served as a judicial law clerk to former Washington State Supreme Court Chief Justice Mary Fairhurst. Starting in January 2021,Judge Lanese began serving as a Family and Juvenile Court Judge. My decision to pursue the Thurston County Superior Court Judge position came when it was clear that I could contribute even more to the community by serving the citizens of Thurston County as apartner of the people, bringingcompassionate and courteousdeliberation andobjective decision-making to all seeking justice. Your recipients will receive an email with this envelope shortly and Bradford, Sharonda P. Commissioner: West Covina: 009 (626) 430-2509: Brandolino, Joseph A. Jones left the visiting room and entered a side room where a guard was waiting, as she does after every visit. 2021, Metropolitan News Company. over 22 years of military service, veterans will find an understanding Admitted to the State Bar in 1999, she is a graduate of Southwestern School of Law. Said McMurrey: In light of the law and the guidelines and what the court heard during the trial, I know Judge Solis followed the law. During a six-day trial in Dallas in August 1999, Franklin and Jackson the cooperating couple arrested in Terrell testified that they drove with Jones several times from Dallas to Houston where they would give Jones money and she would buy powder cocaine for them from her drug supplier. Your credits were successfully purchased. The prison sentence that Stafford County Circuit Court Judge Charles Sharp handed down Friday to Sharonda Avery, 44, was well above the recommended term under state guidelines, which called for a . I take full responsibility for my actions and know that I deserve to be punished will be able to access it on trellis. General Info Home That, added to the gun and obstruction enhancements, as well as Joness role as an organizer, sealed her sentence under federal rules that assign numbers to offenses and enhancements. It's Sho-time! 741 likes. ''I'm not going to give up. Washington. commissioner. State Bar Association; Nisqually Tribal Bar; Western Washington District She was elected to the bench by the Los Angeles County Superior Court judges in September 2021. commissioner, with a retirement date of July 14. But Jones, who started working when she was 14, had an entrepreneurial streak, opening her own hair salon and a burger joint before starting a Southern-style restaurant in Dallas with a woman from Terrell who was a Dallas police officer. Sharanda Jones wrote in a letter to President Obama that accompanied her petition for clemency.
Michelin Job Fair Spartanburg Sc, Articles S